Winter Chickadee

A place to share your favorite photographs

Winter Chickadee

Postby MikeW » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:27 am

I tried something new over the past week or so and found it interesting and fun, so I thought I'd share the results. I always wanted to get some songbirds on one of those nice winter trees with the berries all covered in ice and snow. Well, most of those you see are set ups so that is what I did. I found a tree which still had berries on it and pruned a small branch about a foot long. Then spent a week spraying it with a mister to get the ice to form (took longer than expected because the weather kept getting warm and melting my ice). Finally, when ready to shoot I added some snow already on the ground since once again Mother Nature did not want to cooperate. I used light stand to hold the perch over a small tripod where I mounted a dish feeder. I made sure i was lined up with an evergreen tree about 45 yards away in my neighbor's yard to get a nice blurred background. Then stood in the 20 degree weather for a little over 3 hours to get a few shots. I have tons of different songbirds coming to my feeders, which is the area I set up in, but they were all to shy except the Chickadees. Next time I'll have to move the setup to some where like Kensington where they are all used to people more. Anyway, here are a couple shots I got from the setup.

ChickadeeOnBerries_MBN-8256.jpg

ChickadeeOnBerries_MBN-8347.jpg

Hope you enjoy the photos,
Mike
MikeW

Re: Winter Chickadee

Postby silverowl » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:03 pm

Nice! One of my favorite birds!

Donna
Donna R.
silverowl

Postby MikeW » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:24 am

Thanks Donna. I learned something since posting this and that is I should have either boiled the water or used distilled water for this. Then pour it on instead of spraying it on. That would make the ice clear like a real ice storm instead of somewhat white due to the air and bubbles in the water. So now I'm hoping that we get some more really cold days and some snow so I can try again.
MikeW

Postby SandyLee » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:23 pm

These are totally SWEET! I like the white snow crystals.... superb work Mike.... Very inspiring!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Dale » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Nice color Mike. Good work with the ice and snow. The ice looks very real to me.
Looks like ice looks when it is beginning to melt.

Dale
Dale

Postby MikeW » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:57 pm

Thanks Sandy and Dale.
MikeW

Return to Photo Sharing