Red Bellied Woodpecker

Post rare birds here for the northern Great Lakes Areas.

Moderator: Russ Emmons

Red Bellied Woodpecker

Postby KT01234 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:23 pm

In late Oct and early Nov there were red bellied woodpeckers coming to my feeder. They are very skittish, but I did manage to be outside and took some shots of one of them. My bird books say that they are out of their range. The only other time I have been lucky enough to see them was while in Florida. I've included one of the photos to see what you guys think. I did forward some of the pics to the bird lady that lives in the neighborhood here and she said she has seen them before. So, maybe they aren't so rare here?
Attachments
DSC08185 Large e-mail view Large Web view.jpg
Red Bellied Woodpeck in Delta County
DSC08185 Large e-mail view Large Web view.jpg (60.37 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
KT01234

Re: Red Bellied Woodpecker

Postby Cindee » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:39 pm

Cool!!! They are obviously expanding their range some. We saw one in the UP a couple of years ago and were very surprised to see it up there.
Cindee

Postby Russ Emmons » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:13 am

There are several reports these days now of Red-bellieds in the UP. One of several species expanding their range north and even into the UP. There are even reports of Carolina Wrens "UP" there recently. Cardinals, Tufted Titmouse, Turkey Vultures come to mind in recent years back. It has only been in the past 3 years we've had Red-bellieds show up at our Kalkaska County place! On the other hand Pileated Woodpeckers are expanding their range "back" down this way! This is all one of the reasons they did the Michigan Breeding Bird Atlas project again after only 25 years doing the first one!

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby Joe Green » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:21 am

Though I haven't seen them in the UP, I have been seeing more and more of them every year here at the feeders in SW Kalkaska County.
-Joe Green
Joe Green

Postby Cindee » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:52 am

I've had a pair in Missaukee County for a couple of years now and am beingging to see them with much more regularity. Hairys don't like it much because the Red-bellies are king of the feeders when they come in and the Hairys have to wait. The Downys on the other hand are used to being pushed around by the Hairys so it's nothing new to them.
Cindee

Postby SandyLee » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:48 am

I've had them for the past eight years...We had a successful nest with I think two babies this year.
I checked my really old (1980) Peterson's Field Guide and the range at that time only extended as far north as Grand Rapids!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Russ Emmons » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:54 am

They did a feature bit a few days ago on http://www.pasty.com (pasty-cam) UPs premier website, on woodpeckers UP there. I posted a pic of a Red-bellied commenting for UP residents to be on the look for them. One lady replied she has had them in Baraga! 8-)

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby Emmalou » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:22 pm

I have a Redbellied coming to my yard daily. I live in Marquette. He/SHe has been around since December. New yard bird for me!!!
Emmalou

Postby SandyLee » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi Emmalou!
First, welcome to the site! Second....thank you for posting the RBW from up in Marquette! That is certainly an expansion of their range!

We are thrilled to have you here and look forward to more! (I LOVE Marquette!) :D
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Rare Bird Postings