Took a 'Birding by Ear' course tonight

People, pets, places, adventures, opinions, humor, sports and other stuff!

Took a 'Birding by Ear' course tonight

Postby TinaTC » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:45 pm

through NMC. We listened to some common birds and learned to identify by the pitch, pattern, etc. and saw what they looked liked on sonogram. Part two is a field trip tomorrow to Sleeping Bear Dunes and Otter Creek. The focus is on recognizing birds by their songs, but I'm bringing my camera. Should be fun!
TinaTC

Re: Took a 'Birding by Ear' course tonight

Postby deadstream guy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:59 pm

Sounds like a fun class. I am envious of anyone that can still hear the full range of bird calls. It has been years since I was able to hear any of the higher pitched songs....crimeny, I can't even here a Spring Peeper any longer unless I'm about 5 feet away! I can no longer hear either chickadee or cardinal songs in the spring. I just go on memory. Sure wish I would have worn ear plugs when I was younger.
deadstream guy

Postby TinaTC » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:27 pm

I can relate, DG. Although I can hear most birds, I do have hearing loss at the higher frequency. I've had tinnitus for years. There are peepers in my head 24/7!
TinaTC

Postby deadstream guy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:17 pm

That is exactly what I have....right up to the Peepers in my head 24/7. My ears ring with that same frequency all day long!
deadstream guy

Postby TinaTC » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:59 pm

We saw the majority of the birds from our classroom study, plus a purple finch and kingfisher. The highlight was a nesting bald eagle! That was a first for me. I've seen some in flight but never nesting. The tinnitus hampered things a little bit, but I could hear most of them. There's a sequel in early May for nesting birds that I want to attend. I definitely need better binoculars. New thread on that...
TinaTC

Return to Round Table Discussions... What's up?