Keeping squirrels and chipmunks away

People, pets, places, adventures, opinions, humor, sports and other stuff!

Keeping squirrels and chipmunks away

Postby TinaTC » Sat May 10, 2014 11:29 pm

I have several squirrels and chipmunks that have taken over the bird feeders. It's getting worse by the day. They're chasing the birds right out of the feeders. I was letting my dog out to chase them away, but last night he ran into the woods after a chipmunk and was missing for 1/2 hour. Scared me to death. So that's off the table. I don't want to kill them. I know I need to get squirrel-proof feeders, but is that enough to keep them out? Any other tricks I can employ? (Other than killing them?)
TinaTC

Re: Keeping squirrels and chipmunks away

Postby SandyLee » Sun May 11, 2014 5:02 pm

Hi Tina,
The squirrels here have gotten SO smart that they are circumventing literally ALL the "squirrel resistant" feeders.... other than my feeders which are rather high on a pole with a metal baffle. My squirrel "proof" feeder on the deck was good for about two years.... then the little buggers figured it out.... ARGH! :B
...Not to mention that a RACCOON has been emptying it nightly. DOUBLE ARGH!
Bit the bullet and found what's called the "Squirrel Buster Plus", made by Brome Bird Care in Quebec. It's PRICEY, but reviews on it are excellent. Put it up today.... will report back on how well it works and will try to include a pic.
... Always ticks me off when a RODENT is smarter than me.... well, maybe that wouldn't take too much! :lol:
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby TinaTC » Sun May 11, 2014 5:33 pm

Ha ha Sandy, I know what you mean. It's infuriating! My indigo bunting hangs on the perimeter patiently waiting and finally gives up. I go out there like a crazy lady waving them away every 5 minutes. A 40# bag of birdseed is gone in a week, all to rodents! Makes me so mad. Looking forward to a report on the Squirrel Buster Plus! In the meantime, I'm going to try stringing them on clothesline.
TinaTC

Postby SandyLee » Sun May 11, 2014 6:03 pm

A 4x4 covered in vinyl sometimes works too, for your platform feeders.... but it's gotta be about six feet in height.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby TinaTC » Sun May 11, 2014 7:44 pm

I have one of those in the garage. Thanks, will try this!
TinaTC

Postby TinaTC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:19 pm

Sandy, I was sold on your reviews of the Squirrel Buster Plus. Not realizing the difference, I ended up buying the "classic" model. I'm very happy with it. It even works with the lightweight chipmunks. Kind of funny watching them frustratingly cling to the bars and pulling with their haunches. :twisted: The chickadees hopped right on like it was there all along. It took the other birds longer to warm up to it. The bluejays... nope. Not sure they can get on it?

I decided to get another one for the front and went with the Plus this time so the cardinals can have a perch. Got it off Amazon, much cheaper than the specialty shop I bought the last one. I really like to give small businesses the business when I can, but it was too much of a price difference. Guess the other feeders will all be going in the yard sale. Thanks for the recommendation. Hope yours is still working well!
TinaTC

Postby SandyLee » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:06 pm

It's working GREAT!!! No more seed mess, no more screaming like a crazy person at the squirrels, etc.! I've adjusted the tension so that when three birds land on it at the same time, it doesn't close the ports. Grackles don't like it (YAY!), but all the other birds seem to do just fine with it... even the Red Bellied WP and the Red Headed WP. Finches LOVE it! And even with all this rain, the seeds stay dry.

I saw that they wanted $120.00 for it at WBU (+ 6% MI tax)... so I figured $84 was a pretty good deal. Much more than I've ever paid for a bird feeder... but I'm sure it will pay itself back in less than a year!

Enjoy! :D
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby TinaTC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Yep, WBU is where I got the first one. $84 is a great deal! I paid $88 on Amazon. It will definitely pay for itself considering 95% of the seed was going into squirrel and chipmunk bellies. Plus I spent almost that much on the last 3 feeders, which are useless now. I didn't know you could adjust the tension. I'll have to play with that. :)
TinaTC

Postby siouxzq_24 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:45 pm

I guess I'm lucky because I don't have a squirrel problem. I live far enough away from the woods and separated by 2 at least 100 yard hay fields, so they don't venture to my yard. I do have ground squirrels (who hubby HATES) and a VERY cute and friendly Chipmunk. The ground squirrels don't climb and do a fair job (along with the resident turkeys, my chickens and the rabbits) of cleaning up the ground under the feeders. The one Chipmunk (I think he's living in the woodshed) doesn't make a nuisance of himself and is content to climb up the deck steps and clean up what the birds have dropped.

My current foes are all the recently fledged Starlings ... those little (expletive deleted :D ) eat about 3 small suet cakes in a day if I'm not paying attention. *sigh* ...
siouxzq_24

Postby TinaTC » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:32 pm

Siouxqz, you are very lucky! When I first moved here I saw very few squirrels or chipmunks. The previous owners never fed the birds and also had a cat. Then I put feeders out and wow, they started coming from everywhere. I have black, red and gray squirrels and dozens of chipmunks. The ground is moving with them. I've never seen anything like it. My parents even hand-feed their chipmunks and never have this problem. I have a grouse who comes around and eats under the feeder. The chipmunks started to attack his feet so he comes less and less now. That really bums me out. I'm hoping with these new feeders they will lose interest and move on.

I don't see any starlings here, but I've been going through a suet cake a day lately too. Blue jays, red bellies, downeys mostly. And red squirrels. It's crazy. I must be the only person in the neighborhood feeding the birds.
TinaTC

Next

Return to Round Table Discussions... What's up?