Keeping squirrels and chipmunks away

People, pets, places, adventures, opinions, humor, sports and other stuff!

Re: Keeping squirrels and chipmunks away

Postby MikeW » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:56 pm

Well, I've got red and gray squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, and the starling/redwing bb issue with the suet. However, I did find a solution for the suet issue though. WBU has a three piece chain, or you can make your own easy enough, that allows you to hang the suet cage flat and facing down. Just leave the suet cake in the plastic container and put the open side facing the ground. Most birds, other than woodpeckers, nuthatches and such cannot hang upside down and eat the suet. After about two weeks they give up trying pretty much. I do leave one suet cage upright during this time of year for the birds to help with the newly hatched babies and also during winter. Give this a try and see if it helps.
MikeW

Postby TinaTC » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:05 pm

Cool MikeW, thanks for the idea!
TinaTC

Postby Russ Emmons » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:05 am

Good idea Mike--we are giving it a try. I made one up that way today & hung it up. Within minutes was a Starling standing on the back stretching its neck WAY around picking at the underside. :shock: We will see what works out.

Have had more then our share of squirrels, true, but by far this year has been GRACKLES :x eating everything.
Now the past few days we have a Raccoon present eating suet IN the cage(s) with it's tiny toenails thru the wire. It has gotten 2 of my best laying hens as well :evil:

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby MikeW » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:35 pm

My neighbor has an old barn that is full of raccoons. Last year I was live trapping them at my feeders and taking them miles from the house to a game area and letting them go by a creek, hopefully to live happily ever after :D . After moving about 9 of them in two weeks I got a skunk in the live trap...not fun :( and I have now quit using it and I have bird feeders on the ground in the mornings (taking down 10 feeders a every night is not an option). I don't want to resort to shooting them, although I did the one that decided my truck was his jungle gym (luckily that was my old truck), so if anyone has any ideas on how to keep them away, let me know.

Hope the suet trick works for you, it has been pretty good so far for me.
MikeW

Postby deadstream guy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Coon can be almost as hard on your feeders as bear. Sometimes trapping is the only answer. There lies the problem.......relocating live Raccoon in Michigan is highly illegal! If you trap one, you have two legal choices for the coon, death or release at point of capture. Being territorial like most wild beasts, most relocated coon are either killed by the coon that live where they are dropped off, or themselves kill the local coon and take over that habitat. One thing that will solve the coon troubles for a bit is to allow a fur trapper to trap your area during trapping season. That way the coon are removed AND the resource is used when the trapper pelts and/or eats the coon meat(it is like good beef...really)
deadstream guy

Postby MikeW » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:23 am

Good to know, thanks.
MikeW

Postby Barbara88246 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:01 pm

One thing that has helped me is to put moth balls in my garages, which made it uncomfortable for the red squirrels to build nests in, therefore they moved on. I think it is keeping snakes out as well. The red squirrels are so destructive in the garages, ripping and shredding anything for a nest. The chipmunks I have not conquered yet, but maybe it would be worth it to buy the expensive feeders.
Barbara88246

Postby TinaTC » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:17 pm

Barbara, I'm gonna pass this tip along to my parents. They currently have a red squirrel living in their garage and they don't know how to get it to move out. Thanks! :)
TinaTC

Postby SandyLee » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:29 pm

Great discussion here!
Deadstream.... I am totally unaware of the "relocating" law.... thanks for letting us know... can you point us to a site for a legal description of it?

BTW... for our folks that are new here, Deadstream is a taxidermist and REALLY knows his stuff!

So, now I have a question: We had the raccoon problem last year (not as bad this year) ... when we "caught them in the act", we threw a small cup of white vinegar on them (and, yes, it was at 3:00 am). Was that being too "mean"? They seemed to move on after that and didn't bother the feeders.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby deadstream guy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks for the compliment Sandy, I should add I now have my ears greased so I can fit my head in my Tahoe!

As for the relocating/trapping rule...go to the Michigan hunting/trapping rule-book that all license agents have to hand out when you get your license to hunt/fish/trap. They are always changing stuff, so it pays to keep abreast of the rules.....it can be somewhat expensive to have the Conservation Officer inform you of your goof with a citation!

Jan
deadstream guy

PreviousNext

Return to Round Table Discussions... What's up?