Rescued a gull today - hoping for the best

People, pets, places, adventures, opinions, humor, sports and other stuff!

Rescued a gull today - hoping for the best

Postby TinaTC » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:58 pm

Drove into work this morning and saw a gull just sitting on the pavement in our parking lot. I started to approach it and it acted like it wanted to move but couldn't. Afraid it would flap into the street, I backed away. I kept watching it from my office window wondering what I should do. I didn't want to tell anyone for fear they would all go outside to see and spook it. My co-worker arrived and also noticed it. We decided we had to do something. I contacted a local rehabber who took in a baby cedar waxwing that I found a few years ago. She said if we could get it in a box she would take it. We got a big box, lined it with paper shreddings, and found some towels and gloves. Surprisingly I was able to approach it and pick it up with my gloved hands with very little effort. I set him in the cushioned box and we headed to the rehabber.

The rehabber was so awesome. She said he's an Atlantic. She picked up that bird and he just relaxed like he knew he was in good hands. She examined him like a vet would. She didn't think he had a broken wing but noticed his legs weren't moving. Then she felt a lump on his head. She thinks he may have flown into something, like one of our windows. She's going to get him in the water and observe him further. If need be, she will euthanize him. We left relieved in knowing he was in the best hands possible. If anyone can rehabilitate him, she can. I'll call her in a few days to follow up. Hoping for the best for this guy (or girl?)
TinaTC

Re: Rescued a gull today - hoping for the best

Postby SandyLee » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:35 pm

Absolutely PERFECT Tina! Hoping for the best.... and it's amazing that anyone would actually take in a Gull! can you tell us which rehabber? (if you prefer not to, that's ok). And, for my curiosity, what is an Atlantic gull? I can't find it in my field guide. Maybe Herring or Ring-billed?

Keep us updated!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby TinaTC » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:48 pm

Hmmm.. I know nothing about gulls so I just took her word for it. Based on pictures I'm gonna say it's a herring gull. Maybe we misheard her? It was very pretty actually, and much lighter than I expected for its size. Her name is Jyl Gaskin, she's on the DNR list of licensed rehabbers. I called Wings of Wonder too but they only take in raptors. However, I did find out that WOW is in need of unwanted artificial Christmas trees. They use them for their owl hideouts. I just happen to have one I was going to throw out, so that was a twofold :)

I know most people see gulls as pests, but neither of us could bear the thought of that poor thing dying in the parking lot. Our office is right on Boardman Lake and many people walk their dogs through there, not to mention the traffic. Fortunately my boss is an animal person too, because I did not get much work done today.
TinaTC

Postby TinaTC » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:24 am

UPDATE! Called her today. He's doing good! He's walking around, swimming, eating fish. She thinks he will be ready for release very soon. I was so afraid he was paralyzed and would need to be euthanized, so this makes me very happy! I have some old guinea pig cages I'm going to give her. She said she can use the larger ones, plus old dog crates. So Grand Traverse area birders, keep her in mind when you clean out the garage!
TinaTC

Postby Barbara88246 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:59 pm

Good work Tina, good information to have.
Barbara88246

Postby SandyLee » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:52 pm

YAY! Hope he continues to improve. Nice work, Tina.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Round Table Discussions... What's up?