New guy in area birding

People, pets, places, adventures, opinions, humor, sports and other stuff!

New guy in area birding

Postby deadstream guy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:57 pm

Pulled out of the driveway headed for the hardware store this afternoon. About 200 yards south of the house I see a car pulled over and a guy standing alongside it. It turned out to be a downstate birder that was "looking" for Sora rails in part of my marsh. He was playing a recording of the Sora's call in hopes of getting a response from the cattails. I pulled over and got out and visited with the guy a short while. As we talked a Virginia rail showed itself about 20 feet away. I'm the only one that saw it before it scampered back into the cattails. It was apparently ticked off about the recorded calls, and it started calling itself. Interesting.
The guys name was Steve Santner, and I believe he said he was from Troy, or some other place in the S.E. corner of the state. Anyone one here know the guy?
deadstream guy

Re: New guy in area birding

Postby Danaduck » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:18 am

I recognize Res, Phil and Chace when I see them. Other than that I am a grizzled old loner.

I am conflicted by the use of calls. First because they annoy me. Also they annoy the birds. I guess I am not conflicted.
Danaduck

Postby SandyLee » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:12 pm

No clue, Deadstream....Did he give you any more info?
I do not believe in calling in birds, although some folks do, and sometimes, maybe, that's ok... I am with Dana.
Probably why I applaud our members here.... what we see and photograph, is what we see and photograph.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby deadstream guy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:25 pm

No other info I can remember.....but, I have a notoriously bad memory when it comes to names and etc. He named a couple fellows also from downstate that have their own website and I tried googling them to no avail.
I wrote their names down though, they were Darrell Asbery and Scott Jennex......spelling by the new birder guy.

Jan
deadstream guy

Postby SandyLee » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:03 am

I'm friends with Scott Jennex on FB.... He's well known as a birder and seems like a pretty decent guy.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Russ Emmons » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Steve Santner--- one of Michigans top birders! He's been here to my house to see the Carolina Wren we had and we see him at the Anchor Bay CBC get togethers'. Very knowledgable, responsible, and ethical guy. He knows Scott Jennex, Daryl, Allen Chartier etc. etc. & many more then I do.

BTW Calling Rails, Owls and other difficult species to find & ID with tapes CDs & the latest devices has always been accepted, even encouraged by various top & national wildlife orgs.---"If" done in moderation, discretion & for specific research purposes ---protocol much as it is for photographing birds & wildlife.--- Lately there is a small segment of birders who are annoyed or even against photographers "getting" pics of birds in any manner. :roll:
I don't know when this negative view of using audio callbacks came about but it didn't use to be that way for years & years.
Usually for these difficult species there is NO other way to know if they are around--(like the Atlasing projects). The ornithologists (scientists) know this.--Matter of fact for the counts, surveys etc. they have problems getting even a few people to do this. I can assure you the random occasional playback callings are NOT responsible for any declines in these species!

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby Danaduck » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:37 am

I went and looked up the use of calls and there was a lot of differences of opinion. What I could tell that made sense to me was that it is ok as long as not overdone in any situation. The two times it should not be done is one in breeding and nesting season and two the use of predator species since these instances stress the birds prey birds.

Three is near me. I get annoyed easily.

Edit to add: I went and checked on Sora's using the MBBA.....and......Sora's breed here in May and June. The adults stay with the young for about 3 weeks and then leave them there while they disperse to greener pastures. It appears that our surveyor was trying to catch them in this period while still together. It also says they are very hard to survey. So instead of beating the cattails to a pulp to find a nest they accept newly fledged chicks as proof of breeding in that spot.

I have to give this instance an OK pass based on Russ' comments and the BEST readings I could find.
Danaduck

Return to Round Table Discussions... What's up?