Apple tree down--UPDATE!

For Nature, for Food, for YOU!

Moderator: PapaRon

Apple tree down--UPDATE!

Postby Russ Emmons » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:26 am

Late June one of those bad storms, we lost our 25' tall pride of property, beautiful huge "Michigan Delicious" apple tree. We were heart broken :cry: It split, ripped right over, fell on the garden smashed most of the Pumpkin, & Squash plants. It is loaded with apples after having none on any of our trees last year. For now, leaving it alone hoping this years apples will mature so we may have them as the tree still seems alive & green. Don't believe it will survive thru the winter tho like this. Ron or anyone--any ideas? I'm sure a tree surgeons services would be hundreds of $ :?
Hate to just cut it up for firewood but also hate to lose it. Wondering if we can pull it back up with a tractor, repair it, stake it up with guy wires :?: :B

Russ Emmons
Attachments
June 26, 2013 016.jpg
Fallen Apple tree, our yard
June 26, 2013 016.jpg (129.76 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
Last edited by Russ Emmons on Sun May 18, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Re: Apple tree down

Postby Danaduck » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:42 am

Same thing happened to one of my prizes a few years ago.

You still have a healthy root system and it looks like enough to support most of the apples it has. You may consider cutting off some of it now to ensure the existing roots feed what is left.

After the fall when the trees go dormant then prune back. It may be to a stump. Then next spring some risers may come out. Let them grow for two seasons and then pick two or three that are healthiest and look like they will branch. Then two years later pick the best or the best two. There may in the end be only one.

I am in year three where I will pick two this fall. Gonna be hard because none of mine show any tendency to want to branch..

Edit top add. If the tree was originally a grafted tree to some other root stock you may find you get a pear tree or an apple tree that will not be true to the current fruit.
Danaduck

Postby Duane Wilcox » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:09 pm

Had a similar tree fall at our place near Alpena about 18 years ago. Left it as it was. It still produces a nice crop of apples.

Duane
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell my tools and cameras for what I said I paid for them!

Keep your stick on the ice!
Duane Wilcox

Postby Russ Emmons » Sun May 18, 2014 1:23 am

Update on this from last year :o Many of you probably remember this (?)
I'm delighted to report this tree is alive & well :W it made it through this extreme winter, all leafed out now! Wondering if it will blossom? It did produce MANY nice apples even on its side!

What to do now? Many of the branches broke off, some died and ones on the ground got eaten badly by rabbits, deer etc. Some we pruned off. We just couldn't deal with the extreme winter any more so decided to leave it til spring and let fate take its course. Now it is garden time and this tree is covering 1/4 to 1/3 of the garden space. Best bet would be for my sons tractor & try to pull it upright and stake it up somehow.

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Re: Apple tree down--UPDATE!

Postby SandyLee » Mon May 19, 2014 9:00 pm

I would just take out the "dead stuff" and if you can deal with it laying side-ways...let 'er be. Won't look too purdy... but if you try to upright it, you may, especially this time of year, yank out some of the critical "little roots" the tree has down there.

If you need to upright it.... do it in the Fall, when it doesn't need all the ground juice it's depending on right now to survive.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Gardening