Garden Catalogs!

For Nature, for Food, for YOU!

Moderator: PapaRon

Garden Catalogs!

Postby silverowl » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:35 pm

It's that time of year again! The garden catalogs are beginning to fill my mailbox! Sadly, I have said good bye to a couple of my favorite companies since I found out they are now owned by, or affiliated with Monsanto. If that is something you care about, you might have to dig deep to find if there is a connection with your favorite garden companies and Monsanto. This is just something that I feel strongly about and have taken a personal stand on. It in no way means that I feel that someone else is wrong for using or purchasing this company's products. I just choose not to.
Donna R.
silverowl

Re: Garden Catalogs!

Postby SandyLee » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:11 pm

I hear ya Donna! I pretty much quit purchasing online/mail-order a couple of years ago, since it seemed that all the companies were owned by other companies, who were owned by other companies. I'm sure there are still a few good ones.... Do you have any Faves?
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Russ Emmons » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:17 pm

I agree completely with Donna!
We have received our "Gurneys" Which always was one of our favorites when it was family owned out in South Dakota. Now it's always a different "parent" company and the prices often outlandish. We try to buy 'local' but the selection isn't always great.

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby silverowl » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:16 pm

I am going to check out a place called Pinetree Seeds, I think they are still a small company, also Vermont Bean and Seed, not sure if they have "sold out" to the big chemical companies or not. Probably your best and safest bet is to become a member of Seed Savers Exchange in Iowa. They I am sure will never bow to the pressure from Monsanto. No matter how much our government changes the rules on seeds, growing, harvesting and farming.
Donna R.
silverowl

Return to Gardening