Getting Close

For Nature, for Food, for YOU!

Moderator: PapaRon

Getting Close

Postby PapaRon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:31 pm

The growing season is approaching ....... ever so slowly.

Still, tomorrow is May 1st.

Cole crops and peas can be planted, if the snow is melted where you are.

If you plant seeds too early, they may sit in the ground and rot. Too cold and damp (voice of experience).

Tomatoes and peppers like it hot, if you plant while the soil is too cool, you only stunt your plant's growth. Don't be in a hurry to plant everything right now.

Ron
www.gardening-for-wildlife.com
PapaRon

Re: Getting Close

Postby Russ Emmons » Thu May 01, 2014 1:35 am

Ron--but I do have seeds planted in pots on the window sills and out on the front enclosed south facing porch.
Many are coming up fine--many more to go. Just can't seem to get that porch higher then about 65 even in the sun, and as you know it takes 70 degrees for proper germination--right?

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby PapaRon » Thu May 01, 2014 1:18 pm

Russ, it is difficult to fight 'mother nature'. 70 degrees seems to be a standard temp for germination. some seed a bit lower, other do well a bit warmer.

When the earth's soil temp is still way down, plants and garden seeds will fail.

Patience my friend.

Ron
www.gardening-for-wildlife.com
PapaRon

Postby SandyLee » Wed May 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Haven't done much gardening.... but did plant impatiens seeds inside several weeks ago.... Mainly because of the impatiens mold/mildew disease that is prevalent in nursery stock.... Happy to report! They are doing purdy well! (...and I'm SO happy that I haven't killed them!)
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Gardening