HELP!

For Nature, for Food, for YOU!

Moderator: PapaRon

HELP!

Postby siouxzq_24 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:25 am

I have a beautiful ... maybe I should say, "HAD" ... Peony Tree. This isn't your standard perennial Peony, it's an actual tree. Each year for about the last 8 or so, I got a dozen or so blossoms, when in bloom, are the size of dinner plates. Unfortunately, despite great care, the rabbits got to it this winter.

I thought for sure it was a goner because the bark has been completely consumed all the way around and about 8" up the main branch. Upon examination, to decide whether to rip the whole thing out of the ground (in tears), I saw several (about 10 or 12) little shoots at the very base of the thickest part of the trunk.

So, here's the question. Do I take a hacksaw and saw through the trunk just above the new shoots, where everything is completely dead and brittle, or do I just leave it alone?

Any thoughts would be appreciated .....
siouxzq_24

Re: HELP!

Postby Danaduck » Fri May 30, 2014 9:13 am

I would saw it off but, I would do it so high that there is no chance I would damage the new shoots.

Are you sure that the shoots are the same as the tree or is it possible that the old tree was grafted to a different rootstock?
Danaduck

Postby siouxzq_24 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:27 pm

No, I'm not certain. I understand that I might not end up with something that is the "same" as it was before. But at this point, I would like to keep it alive, however it will turn out.

The shoots aren't coming from the ground, but about 3-4" from the ground on the thickest part of the trunk, just below the area where the bark is missing. The shoots aren't yellow or green, but pink-ish/purple, which is the way it always started before from the lower branches.

I'm going to saw it off and hope for the best ..... :cry:
siouxzq_24

Postby SandyLee » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:14 pm

Good luck, Siouxzq! Hope it recovers.

My Rose of Sharon looks like it "bit the dust" .... DANG! Usually, the problem with those trees/shrubs is to keep them from getting out of control. I just have a poor, pathetic stick tree next to the house now. :( I'll probably have to opt for a "bullet proof" tree... like an upright juniper or something....sigh.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Gardening