My peppers are a bust

For Nature, for Food, for YOU!

Moderator: PapaRon

My peppers are a bust

Postby TinaTC » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:48 pm

My dad gave me 3 pepper plants: serrano, Hungarian wax, jalapeno. The jalapeno was gnawed to the ground within a few days. The Hungarian wax had a nice pepper growing and was almost ready to be picked, then one day it just disappeared. So far, nothing is touching the serrano but there are no peppers either, so who knows.

What twisted critter eats pepper plants? :Y
TinaTC

Re: My peppers are a bust

Postby Gardenshadow » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:57 am

Not sure of what your pepper bandits are Tina, but if your Serrano is not producing you might try some Epson salts. Put a couple of teaspoons of Epson salts around your pepper, or any other flowering plant that you want to encourage to bloom, i.e. roses, tomatoes, hibiscus, etc., and water.
First off though, peppers so not like to be watered very much. Many gardeners plant their peppers next to or near their tomato plants and tomatoes crave a lot of watering. This upsets the pepper plants as they like to be watered like you would water a house plant. When the plant wilts a little bit, give it a small amount of water. Not a good idea to over water peppers.
Since I found out about this watering issue with peppers I have been growing them in containers so it is much easier to regulate the water.

Harv ;)
Gardenshadow

Re: My peppers are a bust

Postby TinaTC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:08 pm

Thank you, Harv. That certainly explains a lot. I did plant the peppers right in front of the tomatoes! It was really dry here the whole month of July and early August. I kept the tomatoes watered and of course the peppers were getting watered too. I'll lay off watering the peppers so much and try the epsom salts. My tomatoes are producing lots of blooms but few tomatoes. I don't think this cool summer and cool nights are helping.

Will keep the epsom salts in mind for the roses for next year. None of them bloomed this year, but that's probably because I transplanted all of them in May. I knew that would traumatize them, but they had to be moved. All the foliage looks good, so I'm hopeful for flowers next year in their new, sunnier location.

Good tips, thanks!
TinaTC

Return to Gardening