Growing Season Over

For Nature, for Food, for YOU!

Moderator: PapaRon

Growing Season Over

Postby PapaRon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:51 pm

Well, growing season is pretty much over.

Late start, cool or below average temps for summer. Plenty of rain on the most part. All in all, not a whole lot to brag about.

How was your growing season?

On a plus note, Lakes Michigan and Huron are at and above the century average, gaining more than 19" of water in the past 12 months. Superior is several inches above.

Ron
www.gardening-for-wildlife.com
PapaRon

Re: Growing Season Over

Postby SandyLee » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:40 pm

My gardening was rather pathetic this year.... BUT, with all the rain, barely had to water the containers!

Lake here (Rennie) and other inland lakes in the area are up about 2 feet vertically... which equaled 20 FEET horizontally! Our fire pit on the "beach" has become a frog pond this year! (sure makes it difficult to have a camp fire! :P )

The higher water is nice (especially since our house is way above high water line) ... only sad part is that the Loon Island is submerged and all the trees there are drowning and dying.... not to mention that the Loons lost there traditional nesting spot.

Wildflower garden did pretty well, even with all my neglect! (and with the bunnies chomping it down a lot) ... Best "survivors" from the bunny attacks were Monarda, Agastache, Lavender and marigolds. Critters even ate most (all!) of my Cone Flowers...and even the Sedum and Dusty Miller! Hungry little things!

STILL have a couple hummers, although sporadic in the last couple of days... likely migrants now... Cleaning and refilling the feeders every three days.... seems that the mold around the ports really wants to take hold this time of year with fewer hours of daylight and cooler (colder!) temps.

Thanks for stopping by Ron! Always love your posts! :D
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby PapaRon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi Sandy,

Still have a few rather chubby hummers and are they busy. An occasional monarch still flutters through (saw several last week at the beach.

Deer are the main munchers around here, My asters may never bloom, Phlox was hit repeatedly, and the newly planted Elderberry have been trimmed back 3 times, all from deer.

Trapped 3 woodchucks and relocated, they do a number on sunflowers, and of course peppers and squash. I learn not to plant some things just because of them.

Sad to hear about the loons, they are so special. Didn't get a chance to hear any this summer while up North.

Slowly starting on some fall clean up (reluctantly).

Tomatoes were real sad this year.

Blessings my Up North friend.

Ron
www.gardening-for-wildlife.com
PapaRon

Postby SandyLee » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Thanks Ron!
My Hummers vacated yesterday... spent awhile on the feeders early AM, then a bit of time just flying around the trees... so they are headed your way... OR, since they are SO FAT... probably further south by now!

Oh! Did put in a new "walkway garden" this year! Bullet-proof stuff... couple of Tom Thumb cotoneasters, a dwarf barberry (since it's not invasive) an Alberta Spruce (nice slow-grower) and a Moon Glow Upright Juniper...space for a nice pot of Mums and maybe something on a little shepard's hook nearer the house next spring.... Also highlighted it with four LED landscape lights on a timer (they not only look nice, but help hubby find his way to the garage at 5:30 AM!) Plus, I think they will deal with the giant snow (sorry to swear) piles this winter. On the corner of the house... our Rose of Sharon tree bit the dust after the winter (ARGH!)... put in a Zone 4 Hydrangea tree.... lovely fragrence .... hummers liked it... just starting to dry and turn pinkish...hope this "baby" makes it!

Loons had a rough year, as did many other waterfowl. Good news is that the strongest will survive. Went out on the boat last eve.... our lonely Loon (and lake protector) seems to have acquired a girlfriend (FINALLY!)... they seemed to be discussing migration plans when we saw them... it's quite odd to see a pair being "tight" this time of year.... wishing them safe journeys south and safe return next Spring!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Return to Gardening