Winter sowing, anyone?

For Nature, for Food, for YOU!

Moderator: PapaRon

Winter sowing, anyone?

Postby TinaTC » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:35 pm

My first attempt! I hear it can be quite addictive. Since I went overboard on all the perennials I planted this past summer, I vowed not to spend any money on flowers next year. So.. I harvested seeds from the ones I really liked and decided to give winter sowing a try. I just planted them over Thanksgiving weekend. It was warm and all the snow melted, so it was the perfect time to do it. Here they are, all nestled away for the loooong, loooong winter.

Does anyone else do winter sowing?

The garden season is just six short months away! :W :?
Attachments
20141130_1369__01.JPG
20141130_1369__01.JPG (441.22 KiB) Viewed 808 times
TinaTC

Re: Winter sowing, anyone?

Postby Russ Emmons » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:49 pm

I plant vegetables and some flowers indoors with seeds in pots in February!. Along south & west facing windows on the sills. Also out on the unheated glassed in south facing porch :mrgreen:
Still have Parsley growing outside in the garden and in flower borders. We can usually brush off the snow, pick some
all winter long.
Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby TinaTC » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:55 pm

Oh, I wish I could do that. I have so many trees around me and get very little direct sun in my house. Other than the living room window, which the dog and cat occupy. It would be nice to have an herb garden but I suspect the rabbits would benefit the most from it.
TinaTC

Postby SandyLee » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:55 am

I've heard the winter sowing can be fun and challenging... I haven't tried it tho.

And.... as to herbs..... those are the ONLY things in my garden that the rabbits don't eat! (well, other than the Agastache.... which is kind of "herbish", since it has a pretty strong licorice aroma.)
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby SandyLee » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Hey Tina.... just happened to remember that there was a good thread on wintersowing a few years ago in www.michigangardenclub.com (I'm a member there.) Here's a link to what came up when I did a Search: http://michigangardenclub.com/forums/sh ... ntersowing
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby TinaTC » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:19 am

Cool, thanks Sandy! I'll have to join this forum. I'm on Gardenweb a lot, but it would be nice to be in a local group.
TinaTC

Return to Gardening