Moccasin Flower, Plantain & Club Spur

MI Orchids are treasured! Dale's Orchids are featured here. Post your own Orchid pics or ask for ID!

Moccasin Flower, Plantain & Club Spur

Postby SandyLee » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:43 pm

More beauties, per Dale!!!! :D

We have one more species in the Cypridedium genus to present to you, Cypridedium acaule, or Pink Lady's-slipper. Also called the Moccasin-flower, this orchid is likely the most common of the lady's-slipper group and the one I remember most from my childhood. It can be found in a very pale pink, a dark pink as pictured here from Alger Co., or in a rare white form. Found in woods, often in sandy soil, preferring drier areas. It can be 4" - 22" tall and can be found in very large numbers.
pinklsIMG_2838-2.JPG
pinklsIMG_2838-2.JPG (223.14 KiB) Viewed 845 times

Our next orchid is from the genus Goodyera, Goodyera oblongifolia, or Menzies' Rattlesnake Plantain. Found in the northern lower peninsula and in the upper peninsula, this photo is from Mackinac Co. Prefers rather dry cedar-spruce woods and along the margins of wooded bogs and swamps, this orchid stands 4" - 20" tall, the largest of the plantains.
oblong6679-2.JPG
oblong6679-2.JPG (153.22 KiB) Viewed 845 times

Another orchid found throughout the State is Plantanthera clavellata, or Club-spur Orchid. Also called the Small Green Wood-Orchid it can be found in groups in wet bogs. Pictured here from Jackson Co., several plants at this location were found coming out of a large rotting log in the bog. At 2"-16" tall this plant can be a challenge to locate and photograph. Prefers tamarack/spruce bogs.
clubspurIMG_7985-3.JPG
clubspurIMG_7985-3.JPG (159.45 KiB) Viewed 845 times

Dale
- Sandy
SandyLee

Re: Moccasin Flower, Plantain & Club Spur

Postby MikeW » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Dale and Ruth,
Another great post with fantastic photos! I know one thing...after the education I'm getting with these posts, it will change how I work my way through the next bog or cedar swamp ;) thanks again.
MikeW

Re: Moccasin Flower, Plantain & Club Spur

Postby Dale » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:14 pm

So glad you are enjoying them Mike.

Dale
Dale

Return to Michigan Orchids