Three More Coralroots from Dale!

MI Orchids are treasured! Dale's Orchids are featured here. Post your own Orchid pics or ask for ID!

Three More Coralroots from Dale!

Postby SandyLee » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:42 pm

...per Dale and Ruth... Thanks!

"This post will include three unusual coralroots that can be located in Michigan. Again, coralroots are saprophytic, and their leaves are comprised of thin tubular sheaths.
The first is the self pollinating form of the Autumn Coralroot; Corallorhiza odontorhiza form cleistogamous. In an earlier post we pictured the more "normal" form of this orchid. This self pollinating form will occasionally put forth a small lip as is pictured in this
photo taken in Benzie Co.. 2" - 10" tall, rich deciduous woods.
Favors Beech and Sugar Maple forests.

The second photograph is the yellow form of Putty-Root, or Aplectrum hyemale. This photograph is from Washtenaw Co. Like the orchid above this orchid also favors rich deciduous woods of Beech and Sugar Maple.
8" - 20" tall. Each stem has several small flowers. One of the
earliest flowering orchids in our region.

The final photograph is of a yellow form of Spotted Coralroot. The scientific name here is Maculata var. maculata forma flavida. This orchid is particularly beautiful with the spotted lip and rich yellow color. This orchid favors dry soil and stands 4" - 20" tall with several flowers on the stem. Photographed in the northern part of our State.
In an earlier post we pictured another yellow form of Spotted Coralroot, Maculata var. occidentalis forma flavida. Where that orchid has a flared lip this orchid exhibits a lip with sides parallel to each other. This orchid also flowers later than the former orchid. These are the kinds of details that keep you on your toes!

Again, enjoy the out-of-doors. We are so fortunate to live in a State with so many wonderful resources and beauty.

Dale and Ruth"

cr3773-1.jpg
cr3773-1.jpg (154.91 KiB) Viewed 974 times

ylpr-1.JPG
ylpr-1.JPG (169.58 KiB) Viewed 974 times

macyelIMG_9123-1.JPG
macyelIMG_9123-1.JPG (165.81 KiB) Viewed 974 times
- Sandy
SandyLee

Re: Three More Coralroots from Dale!

Postby Dale » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:38 pm

Please excuse my error. I listed 3 coralroots, when the second photo is of an orchid
with the common name of Putty-Root, but it is not a member of the Corallorhiza Family.
Putty-Root, or Aplectrum hyemale, has leaves that are visible during the Winter months,
but are not normally seen during flowering time. I had a "senior moment" when putting
this together. Simply having too much fun and not paying enough attention.

Dale
Dale

Re: Three More Coralroots from Dale!

Postby MikeW » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:33 pm

Great info as usual Dale! I really don't know how you keep all of these straight. Very cool series of posts.
MikeW

Return to Michigan Orchids