5/10/14 annual NAMC count statewide!

Events and Activities for birders and Member Activities too!

5/10/14 annual NAMC count statewide!

Postby Russ Emmons » Thu May 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Only 2 days left til annual North American Migration Count (NAMC) statewide. Almost all counties need participants for this worthy and fun count very much like a Christmas Bird Count only done by county rather then a circle. Check on www.michiganaudubon.org click on "Research";> "Surveys, Forms & Data; > "MichiganMigration Count" for contact info for your county to participate.

Anyone interested in participating here in St. Clair county even if just a feeder/yard count contact me for details:

Russ Emmons, St. Clair county NAMC compiler birdeland@comcast.net (Correct email)
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Re: 5/10/14 annual NAMC count statewide!

Postby dena » Tue May 13, 2014 10:56 pm

Darn it, Russ.

I wrote that down on my calendar and got side tracked with out of town guests for Mothers Day. :S I had never done that one before and had seen it on the Audubon site and was going to do it. Well, I guess there is always next year... :cry:
dena

Re: 5/10/14 annual NAMC count statewide!

Postby Russ Emmons » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:23 am

Finally able to get around posting results of the St. Clair County NAMC after finally getting all the tallys totaled, sent in to the state coordinators, checked, corrected etc.
We did well this year with 137 species grand total. I think, without digging through all my previous years records, this was the highest species number ever for St. Clair county NAMC. :W The folks doing the far north tier of townships did better then all, seems that all the migrating birds were up there. Down at this end Algonac State Park did well. No matter what,-- all the participants across the county had at least 1 or 2 notables that no one else had. County wide there were several highlites too numerous to mention here. One of course being several Bald Eagles & Pileated Woodpeckers found! Once again there were no participants to work Harsens Island---a very important and diverse bird area in all of SE MI.
Complete species list, # of participants, feeder watchers, miles driven, & walked, hours spent, weather conditions etc. will be published along with other participating countys in an upcoming issue of "Michigan Birds & Natural History"--a publication of Michigan Audubon Society.

I haven't as yet heard how any of the other countys did this year. I always hope, wish and assume to see any other county totals, rundowns and highlights on this thread. ---Would be interesting! :R

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Return to Events and Activities