Black-bellied Whistling Duck in Cheboygan County

Bird sightings, trip reports, ask for ID

Black-bellied Whistling Duck in Cheboygan County

Postby Froggie » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:26 pm

The duck is in the canal's of the Indian River in Indian River, Cheboygan, Michigan. While visiting a cousin who lives there along the canels and feeds many ducks from the area she was telling me about a strange duck that had been visiting among the many mallards. She tried to discribe it but I had no idea what she was discribing. I told her the next time she seen it take a photo Today at a family party she shows me the photo. Not a very good photo but a photo. Not wanting to give me it I took a photo of the photo which is not that great but..............
Attachments
black-bellied whistling duck.jpg
black-bellied whistling duck.jpg (51 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
black-bellid whistling duck.jpg
black-bellid whistling duck.jpg (48.22 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
Froggie

Re: Black-bellied Whistling Duck in Cheboygan County

Postby Russ Emmons » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:59 am

Is it still around there? Good bird!

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby Froggie » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:01 am

The cousin said it's been there for about a month and is still there. Comes in here yard and feeds with the mallards
Froggie

Postby silverowl » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:55 pm

How cool. Maybe I can make a run up there tomorrow! Do you know if it has been hanging around the Dam area at all?
Donna R.
silverowl

Postby Froggie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Just talk to my cousin and she didn't want to be bothered because she has company for the next two weeks. She did say she hadn't seen it but she's been gone for the last few days. I can tell you it's between town and I-75 somewhere in the canals. So many people up there feed ducks it could be anywhere

Dale
Froggie

Postby charliew » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:12 am

Midnite, Aug 10
Well, folks, after seeing the post this a.m., and since the Black-bellied Whistling Duck is not even listed for Michigan birds on my AVisys program, i decided to take a jaunt up to Indian River to find this miraculous bird. The upshot is that i did not find it, after spending an hour and a half dirivng the streets that parallel the canals. I did manage to find one flock of Mallards on a lawn south of the bridge on River Street. I, also, was looking for a line of automobiles with birders wearing bins; but nada there, too. Unless one knows the address of the sightng place and has permission to bird there, I think the best bet is to use a watercraft to find it; presuming it is still there and, of course, the effort is deemed worthwhile because the bird is judged to be wild. Good luck.
charliew

Postby silverowl » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:05 am

I too went in search of the bird. Spent much time scanning every flock of mallards, getting dropped off at various bridges to scan the canals, and got many weird looks from passersby, but never saw the bird. I apologize to all Indian River residents who suspected that I was a peeping Tomasina! Truly, I wasn't looking into your houses, just your yards for an elusive bird. Oh well.
Donna R.
silverowl

Postby Russ Emmons » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:34 am

Donna, that is a birders dilemma, especially for "list chasers". Happens to us all the time! You would think that birding which is right up with golfing in popularity would be more known, understood, familiar to the general population :? :?:

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby Froggie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:24 am

Sorry i couldn't ave been more help but when someone tells me they don't want others around there's not much we can do. I do have my brother checking with that cousin to see if the duck is still around but won't know til probably Monday. I'm guessing it's still around since it had been coming into her yard for almost a month but with everyone up there feeding ducks who knows where it's at. Hopefully it'll leave town before duck season starts.
Froggie

Postby Froggie » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:30 am

Maybe a little better photo with the date stamped into the photo

BBWD.jpg
BBWD.jpg (78.25 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
Froggie

Next

Return to Sightings