Don Geiss

Birds around your backyard

Don Geiss

Postby Chili Pepper » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:56 pm

I know some of you remember him from NMB. Don passed away yesterday afternoon after repeated bouts of antibiotic-resistant pneumonia that weakened him to the point where he just couldn't fight any more. He was 86. He will be sorely missed by his wife and family...and by me. He was a POW in WWII, a life-long birder who was acquainted with Roger Tory Petersen and spent much time helping early birding organizations tag and track birds for study, and he was a published author, teacher, and freelance writer and photographer. I greatly enjoyed hearing him tell his stories. I grieve along with his family and trust he is in a much better place.
I'll fly away, Oh Glory
I'll fly away; (in the morning)
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by,
I'll fly away (I'll fly away).
Chili Pepper

Re: Don Geiss

Postby SandyLee » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:44 pm

I am so sorry to hear of Don's passing. He was an incredible man and a wonderful contributor to NMB.....I am sorry to have never been able to meet him in person. Please convey my and I'm sure others here our sincere sympathy to his family and friends. Thank you for letting us know, Faith.
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby TJW » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this , Don was also A Violet expert , I have one plant left I bought from him years ago.
TJW

Postby mibnadmin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:06 am

Whenever I passed through Fredrick I wondered about him. So sorry to hear of his passing -he will be missed by all those who knew him and enjoyed his tales from WWII as well as birding adventures.
mibnadmin

Postby Alanson1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:20 am

I remember Don well from NMB always enjoyed his post. Sorry to know he is no longer with us. Those with his dedication are few and far between.
Tula
Alanson1

Postby silverowl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:28 pm

I too am very sorry to learn of Don's passing. I remember some of his posts. I loved his violet pictures. Whom ever is in touch with his wife, please give my condolences.

Donna
Donna R.
silverowl

Postby charliew » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 pm

And I am very sorry to hear of Don's passing. I hadn't seen him for a few years; but i don't float past his cottage on the Manistee as much as I used to. Although we had a few heated discussions over the Catch-and-Release issue way back when, I always respected his love and knowledge of nature.

Charlie Weaver
charliew

Postby Russ Emmons » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:15 am

Thanks to Faith informing of this on FaceBook while I couldn't get on this website. So sad to hear this.
My regret is not meeting him as we had planned to the last 2 years. We had gone by on our way to a bird route but time was short and we decided not to stop then and catch it later. Now I really feel bad we didn't stop. He wasn't that far from our place up there.
I always liked the photos he posted on NMB especially those of the days when he was young.
Bless him!

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Return to Backyard Birding