What do you grow?

For Nature, for Food, for YOU!

Moderator: PapaRon

What do you grow?

Postby SandyLee » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Well, since this is a new forum, thought I might ask what you all plant and/or grow?

I am an avid Perennial Gardener. Got into it about 15 years ago when my sis sent me a bunch of perennials for my birthday! (and told me I had to learn their Latin names! Eeek!)

I am into Native perennials for hummers, butterflies and just to beautify the landscape. We moved to a new house last Fall......totally BARE.....but, at least a "clean pallet". I have about $300.00 worth of baby perennials ordered online. Have several garden plans. (At the old house, I had twelve gardens....WAY too much!)

No veggies this year (sorry, Harv).....but I am looking to learn about bird/wildlife-friendly shrubs.....and would love to share my experiences with native (oh, and some not so native,but friendly) perennials.

Hopefully, this #($&^%$(*#@&@) snow goes soon so I can get started!

Will love to hear from you!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Re: What do you grow?

Postby Gardenshadow » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:04 pm

Well. the biggest share of my garden space is planted in garlic. You read that right, garlic ! I plant it in mid-October and harvest it the first week of July (give or take a few days). I've always had good luck growing garlic, so I've stuck with it and increased the amount every year.

We use a lot of garlic at our house, and three of our grown daughters love cooking with it as well. So dear old dad has become the garlic "grower/distributor" for the family. Not a bad job, if you can get it . . . .
Fresh home-grown garlic is far superior in taste and quality to any that you can buy at the store, and it is one of those things that is good and good for you.

I grow a lot of peppers. Mostly HOT. I grew three or four of the HOTTEST pepper varieties on the planet last year, and I am planning on planting them again this year. I like eating them, but I must admit I also grow them for "bragging rights" with my gardening neighbors. We also have a parrot (Shredder) that loves them !

The rest of the garden is the usual medley of tomatoes, green and yellow beans, beets, zukes & cukes, and green peas every other year or so. I'm limited in available space so I most rotate corn, green peas, snow peas, ect.

I am converting the garden to a "Square Foot" system from our raised beds we've used for many years. If you like gardening, but want to keep it simple and increase your productivity, with less work, and using less space, I suggest you get hold of Mel Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening". It changed my way of thinking completely. Not to mention changed my way of gardening !

We do a lot of flowers in the yard as well. My wife gets involved with that very much.

That's it for me. What gardening plans do you have ?

Harv ;)
Last edited by Gardenshadow on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gardenshadow

Postby TJW » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:09 pm

Belt Loops!!!!!!!
TJW

Postby PapaRon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Sandy, going native is always best all the way around.

I was once a neighbor of Harv.................. I moved to the west side of the state................ funny, when we have an easterly wind, I can still smell him (love ya Harv).

Small suburban yard an garden, but mostly native plants................ what few veggies I do grow, are in pots.

Ron
www.gardening-for-wildlife.com
PapaRon

Postby Gardenshadow » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:01 pm

You mean to tell me, Ron, that you moved all the way west to Kentwood just to 'escape' the heavenly, purfume-like aroma of my garlic ? :Y The "truth" is now known. And, here all this time I thought it was the Big Lakes that beckoned you to make that move . . . . . Oh well, my Friend.

I went out to the garden this morning and realized I had forgotten to mention the perennial vegetables that we grow here on the "plantation". We do asparagus, rhubarb, and sunchokes (Jeruselem artichokes) in the garden as well. Now if Ron had ever gotten a whif of my wife Dee's rhubarb pie, he may never have moved away.

Harv ;)
Gardenshadow

Postby SandyLee » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:08 pm

I didn't know you guys were former neighbors! Gosh, no wonder Ron moved "west"! :lol:

And, other than my "dig" into you guys......I am interested in doing a minimal "container veggie garden"...what do you recommend?
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby SandyLee » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:36 pm

TJW wrote:Belt Loops!!!!!!!

OK, Tom....I "pondered" this all night (gave me something to do since all the thunder and lightning kept me awake) ..... and .......... I "THINK" I "Get It"....... :?
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Gardenshadow » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Sandy, are you into Rap and Hip-Hop like Tom ? :S

Harv ;)
Gardenshadow

Postby SandyLee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:27 pm

Tom is into Rap and Hip-Hop? Huh, I am STILL lost! TOM.....get me back on track buddy!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Gardenshadow » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:37 pm

There is a Hip-Hop, Rapper kind of musical group called "Belt Loops". Perhaps Tom was refering to that.

Harv ;)
Gardenshadow

Next

Return to Gardening