Finally!!!

Birds around your backyard

Finally!!!

Postby TJW » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:48 pm

The Juncos showed up today! I usually have them all winter . oh , well I;ll enjoy them while they are here!!
TJW

Re: Finally!!!

Postby Cindee » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:22 pm

See Tom, if you would have shared some of your siskins, I would have sent you a couple of Juncos....well maybe ..
Cindee

Postby TerryKikendall » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:47 pm

Congrats. I got a sneaking suspicion you're catching these birds on reverse migration. Probably some of my birds heading back north. Better late than never.
TerryKikendall

Postby Russ Emmons » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:34 am

I agree Terry! Actually the southern most edge of the DE Juncos' original summer breeding range is/was around Higgins Lake. Occasionally breeding pairs are still found in Crawford, Antrim, Otsego, Oscoda & points north. The first MI Breeding Bird Atlas shows breeding evidence as far south tho as Arenac, Clare, & Lake countys in a few Twps. I'm curious as to the MBBA2 findings for this species--if it ever gets published :roll:

I think we had all the Juncos here all winter. having up to 30 at a time daily at our feeders---(yes even more then Cowbirds & Starlings :o ) Still as of today we have 10 to 15 :)

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby mibnadmin » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:52 am

Generally I have them year round out back including several breeding pairs. I recall the first time some juveniles came by I had to work to ID them. Interestingly, this winter they did seem to be fewer around.
mibnadmin

Postby TJW » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:23 am

Well I have been enjoying watching them flit around the yard , I had so many this morning I can't estimate numbers!!!!
TJW

Return to Backyard Birding