When does your growing season start?

For Nature, for Food, for YOU!

Moderator: PapaRon

When does your growing season start?

Postby PapaRon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:24 pm

Here in Kent county, the average for the last frost is May 15 or around there.

There are years when it never freezes in May and years when we have a killer in June.

Still, there is that average that farmers and gardeners go on.

Sometimes we try to beat the odds and plant certain things early, knowing we can always replant.

Okay, for your location or zone, when is your last frost date and when do you start planting.

It doesn't matter what you plant.

Ron
www.gardening-for-wildlife.com
PapaRon

Re: When does your growing season start?

Postby silverowl » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Up here almost to the "Mighty Mac" I never plant before Memorial Weekend unless I have good plant covers.

Donna R.
Donna R.
silverowl

Postby SandyLee » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:09 pm

Even tho we are considered Zone 5 here....Memorial day is about the earliest......unless it was like last year......we could have planted about April 20! THIS year is "up for grabs"!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby PapaRon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Sandy, Zone hardy is for cold temps in winter.

As you have learned, zones don't cover frost dates and planting schedules.

Amazing how far behind everything is this year.

Happy planting all.

Ron
PapaRon

Postby SandyLee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:55 pm

I've found that the Zone thing definitely works for winter......especially since we have GREAT snow cover....but also contributes to the Spring ground temp.......will stay cold, but warms up quickly when the time is right.....I may be "off base", since I've never read anything about this......but it's kinda like my "lack of Brown-Time theory!" I "go with the flow"....especially here. Usually, by now, I've made multiple trips to nurseries......This year....NOT!

So, this year.......growing season won't start for awhile yet! There was even a couple stories on the planting season on local TV news yesterday!

Sigh......I'm READY!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Gardenshadow » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:14 pm

Sandy, you could very well have something to your "lack of brown-time" theory. We have more brown-time here in SE MI and have had a lot less snow on the ground ~ this year anyway. Snow cover can keep plants under it a lot warmer and thus perhaps they would re-emerge more quickly.

I mulch my fall planted garlic and the asparaus bed heavily each fall so I think this helps it take off early in the Spring. This would seem to go along with your theory, Sandy.

Harv ;)
Gardenshadow

Postby SandyLee » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanks, Harv.....
I have never mulched. Most of my gardens have done well with just "stuff" (learf litter) from past fall....I even have a couple of boxwoods that looked like they survived the winter! The nursery "guys" I talked to tell me they don't even sell them due to to "maybe" factor! I figure....if they are going to make it....they WILL!
That's what's natives are all about!

BTW.....HUGE swallow infiltration the last couple of days! Like Capistrano!
- Sandy
SandyLee

Postby Gardenshadow » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:38 am

Speaking of swallows, we saw a couple of barn swallows in the yard yesterday. I had to go to the field guide to determine that they were indeed barn swallows.

Plan on getting out the hummer feeders today. They'll be back here soon, and we sure like having them around.

Harv ;)
Gardenshadow

Postby Russ Emmons » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:48 am

Around here the last frost date is figured as May 25 to 30, but there have been later times --rarely. Many gardeners/farmers like to have some things not frost sensitive in by late April. Not to be this year for sure.
The water table is a real important factor here with muddy, flooded conditions more often then not happening. Many people here don't get stuff in until about June 10th. Sometimes the case with us but my thinking is cuts the growing season too short for some things as it seems our first frost date in the fall seems to be getting earlier each year---often now as early as Oct.10! Seems just as stuff gets to really producing good the nights get longer and cooler. Oh well--up at the Kalkaska place growing season is REALLY short, can't even get peppers, eggplants, okra to make it. Tomatos just barely do.

Russ Emmons
'mi ojo es en la cielo' por aves!
Russ Emmons

Postby PapaRon » Sun May 01, 2011 5:04 pm

Natural leaf litter and all the Up North snow works for insulation, yet we are in the same zone sandy with different growing seasons.

Harv, a bit early for Barn swallows. Typically an end of May bird.

Ron
PapaRon

Next

Return to Gardening